SV: SV: more on this temperament thing

Ola Andersson pianola@online.no
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:26:51 +0200

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20

    I very much like the Young myself.=20
    I usually end up playing in the Db key=20
    and the velttemperert klavier ...woow.=20

  This is in itself a very interesting comment.  The sounds which are =
titillating to *you* go unnoticed by many (at least consciously) and are =
what incite small but very angry and vocal mobs to near violence at PTG =
seminars and conventions.=20

  A tuner tunes chromatic 5ths and thirds but a musician never plays =
that way

  Owen Jorgensen had me tune the Young and 1/4 Comma Meantone for him at =
the Convention in Dearborn.  I usually would not have done either one.  =
To me, the Meantone was so extreme that it causes the piano to lose =
virtually all of the *resonance* it has become known for.  The Young was =
just too bland and uninteresting.  I never tune it because to me, there =
are so many more ideas which do make the modern piano more tonal and =
give music a very desirable *texture* which is not found with ET.=20

  I understand what you mean. Both Young and 1/4MT are extreme but I =
like Youngs pure 5ths that kills/soften the bad thirds. I also like EBVT =
But this are the tunings I tuned until know except for ETso I don't know =
anything else. I guess I can agree with you.

  I believe that with understanding and practice that these tunings can =
be accomplished aurally, with the SAT (any model) and probably with the =
other ETD's available.  The ETD simply needs to be able to produce =
intervals of specified sizes and compare 2 intervals and reach an equal =
compromise.=20

  *Modern Piano Temperaments*=20

  Marpurg-...
  1/8 Comma Meantone ...
  1/7 Comma Meantone ...
  I don't have an ETD so I tune by ear. If there is no aural tradition =
to tune ta temprement how can it be a "Historical temprement" :-) Better =
to call them Modern piano temprements. Haven't heard a 1/7 or a 1/8 =
comma MT but I guess it's sounds OK. By the way did Aaron really tune =
what we call a MT temprement. I think he describes something between WT =
and MT.

  I would also use the Vallotti Temperament (not Vallotti-Young) before =
I would choose the Young #1.=20

  Young works OK with violins and guitar (I'm a string player). Also it =
seems to be close to Barnes. But it's the same temprement to me.

  ***********************=20

  By the way, Ola, your description of how you use test blows to settle =
a string tells me that you are doing very high level work.  =20
  Thanks, very happy to hear. Hope I can live up to it. I been having =
good teachers! Thanks=20
  I guess I'm the right track then. I just keep on.

  Perhaps a great tuning challenge can be done in your country.  I would =
present my EBVT with Tempered Octaves against the very best concert =
quality ET tuning that northern Europe has to offer. Thats not me Let =
the best musicians available and the audience decide which piano =
expresses music best.=20

  Richard what do you say? I think I have to make more Wine. Bill bring =
your Harmonium.

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20