pin tightner

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:01:21 -0400

Hi Don!

Thanks for your insights about this matter.  It could hardly have come at a
better time -- just today I met an upright piano whose pinblock had been
doped (Pin-Tite) over the summer by another technician and there are still
plenty of pins that are not holding.

Now I'm wondering ... will oversized pins (I have some Larudee Lo-Torque
pins, sometimes known as fat-bottom pins) help with the pinblock already
treated, or should I go straight for the CA and hope that I won't be
breaking overly tight pins when I try to tune it?

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

P S - Rode the train to/from Reno from Detroit and had a great time.
Already have my train ticket to Boston for the Holidays.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don" <drose@dlcwest.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 11:07 AM
Subject: Re: pin tightner

Hi,

In regards to adding CA to already "traditionally" treated blocks. Use
LESS. The CA works even better when the block is already full of ethylene
glycol. Pins can become so tight they will shear off. If you have over done
it, tap the pin(s) with a hammer to "break" the initial glue bond.

P.S. ridden any trains lately diskladame?

At 05:48 PM 10/16/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>+ My understanding is that you can use a syringe to apply the stuff.
>However, the stuff never dries.  Eventually it loads up with ambient dust
>and turns into a black goo.  +
>
>If the pinblock were the only problem, I might steer
>towards CA glue,
>
>+  Why not use CA glue in this case?  ... +

>thanks

>I've come to many pianos where pin tightner had been used, a hefty
>percentage of which still had tuning pins too loose to tune.  Now what --
>about the only remedy to this is to replace the pinblock.  There is no way
>to flush the tighning solution out of there.  (Applying CA glue over
>tightner would make a lovely mess indeed, most likely incapable of
improving
>tuning pin torque.)

>Whatever stuff you use ... PLEASE remove the action and cover the keybed.
>I'll leave it to your imagination what may happen should any of these
>substances hit the action in strategic places.
>
>Z! Reinhardt  RPT
>Ann Arbor  MI
>diskladame@provide.net

Regards,