Running CA

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:26:25 EDT

In a message dated 10/18/2001 5:36:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
cedel@supernet.com writes:

> The tilter I use is in the current Schaff catalog and is called a
> "modern shop repair truck," priced at $235 plus freight.  I bought it
> several years ago and have used it maybe ten times.  It did not come
> with a strap, and I may live to regret saying this, but I have never
> felt the need for one.  Has anyone had a piano scoot out with this exact
> piece of equipment?
>
> Regards,
> Clyde

Clyde, this is the exact piece of equipment I warned about earlier.  I
suggest strapping to the back beams as close to the tilters bars as you can
get instead of strapping around the piano.  We have found that you cannot get
the straps tight enough if you run them around the sides, if the piano "runs
away" it will stretch the straps and let the toes slide out from under the
piano causing the tilter to jump back violently.  The tilter may not come
loose from the piano but it can move far enough to hurt you.  We tilt 3 or 4
uprights a day and the number of times we have had this problem is few over
30 plus years, but the consequences can be severe and that is why I warn
anyone who might use this tilter.  It is a great invaluable tool and we could
not do without it, just use it carefully.
David Koelzer
DFW