Running CA

Thu, 18 Oct 2001 20:53:10 -0500

Carl,
At 17:03 10/18/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Just like guns, piano tilters are dangerous in the hands of someone who
>doesn't know what they are doing.

Much agreed!  One hint I haven't yet seen, though my bifocals may have
hidden it, is to orient the casters.

Just like I always have the caster wheels of a grand on the "up" side as I
am putting it back on the floor from a skid, I always push the (upright)
piano toward the back, before I slip the tilter under.

Since the wheels of a caster set are offset from the centerline of the
shaft, if the wheels are to the back, and the casters are set real far
back, the piano can actually lift up as you tilt it back and therefore jump
off the tilter.

If the wheels are forward, the back of the piano will naturally lower as
you tilt it.

My 2¢.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Decorah, Ia.  mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu

then used against you.