more on this temperament thing

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:55:40 EDT

In a message dated 10/18/01 12:34:55 PM, A440A@AOL.COM writes:

<< Consider that Chopin's music on a WT often produces a pure melodic line
over a very tempered
harmony.  >>

    I think the key word here is "often".  With Chopin's predilection for
chromatic harmonic modulation, it wouldn't sound pure for very long.  And
since he wrote in all the keys, let's face it, some of his pieces would
suffer more "often" than others with any temperament that wasn't equal.

<<Both Steinway artists here in Nashville have told me they are never going
back to ET >>

I'm guessing that these artists are not playing Chopin in Nashville.  Could
it be that the country tunes they play in Nashville are mostly in the keys of
C, D, G, and A?   If so, then an un-equal temperament might really be best
suited for them.  (But for Chopin...you can't sell me that bag of goods.)

I would actually like to learn a non-equal temperament that favors the keys
of C and G.  So many of the pianos I tune have young students who play the
piano.  They would never play an Ab major triad. They play mostly the white
notes.  On little spinet pianos.  Little Betsy Ross spinet pianos.
Wurlitzers, too...sorry, I was spiraling down, there...

Would it be possible to use a temperament which would maximize the
in-tuneness of all the white notes?  Is there an un-equal temperament that
would serve this purpose?

Tom Sivak