Old Uprights (not the same as Clark Sprague's question)

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:16:10 -0700 (PDT)

(thanks to Yahoo Mail not letting me use the back
button and retrieve what I typed earlier (when I tried
to send but it said my session timed out), this may
not quite be the same as my first attempt to write
this...)

I've been wondering about this for the last several
days and I finally decided to ask about it on the
list...

What were some older brands & models of uprights that
you guys have liked that had the following features:

at least 54" tall
#1 string length > 54"
26- or fewer note bass
no wound strings on treble/tenor bridge (unless
trichord and/or not extending past C3)
built in the 1920s or earlier
elaborate cases (I attached a few pics (and included a
few notes on the pictures)
at least 88 keys

What were some of the tallest pianos you guys know of
with elaborate cases?

Here's a list of brands (taken from Larry Fine's piano
book), and if there are any good uprights, that,
provided the pinblock, soundboard, and plate are in
good condition and the bridge needs minimal repair
could be good restoration projects, please let me
know.

Steinway
Knabe
Bösendorfer
Ivers & Pond
Steinert
Emerson
Apollo
Weber
Krakauer
Everett
Ibach
Baldwin
Chickering
Blüthner
Henry F. Miller
Jewett
Vose
A.B. Chase
Wing
Hallet & Davis
Hamilton
Heintzman
Mason & Hamlin
Bechstein
Sohmer
McPhail
Hume
Chas. Stieff
Packard
Haines Bros.
Lester
Kimball

I am especially interested in Steinway, Knabe,
Emerson, Weber, Baldwin, Chickering, Vose, Wing,
Hallet & Davis, Hamilton, Mason & Hamlin, and Lester
uprights.

Also, if you have any easy way of getting recordings
(preferably mp3 format) of some old uprights you know
of (doesn't matter what condition the piano is in but
please let me know approximately if you know), please
let me know -- I'd like to have a way to compare the
sounds of old upright pianos.

I don't have money to buy an old upright that I like
right now, but I would like to learn what's out there
so that when the time comes it will be easier for me
to make a decision.

As far as tone I like, I like the bass of a Steinway D
(or as close as you can get on an upright), the upper
bass (note C2 to upper end of bass bridge, maybe A#2)
of a good 6- or 7-foot grand or large upright (maybe
Steinway K-52 or G) with wound strings up to A#2, the
low tenor of an older upright (maybe Steinway K or
Hallet & Davis), the temperament of a Baldwin Hamilton
(and past it, up to the treble plate strut), and the
mellow treble of pianos used in popular 50s and 60s
triplet ballads.  I would link to a note-by-note
recording of the tone I like (sampled from various
pianos and recordings), but I don't have it finished
yet.

(I included a few pictures of pianos with cases I
think are neat.  I like the top front of the Matushek,
the sides of the Wing & Son and the Matushek, the
lower front panel of the Wing, and the legs of the
Hallet & Davis and the Wing & Son)

If you want to see better quality pictures, please go
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/stephen_airy/lst?.dir=/pianostuff/miscpics&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/stephen_airy/lst%3f.dir=/pianostuff%26.src=bc%26.view=l
 and look at the pictures in there.  I may also
include a few extra pictures there.

---------------------------------

On a side note, I often find myself laughing at some
ads on E-bay (some people sure need an education!!)

Here's an example:

1878 Steinway paino upright model. This gorgeous unit
has been well kept in my office lobby for many years.
It has been play one or two times a year during the
holiday season...amazing that the sound is still
wonderful! The exterior is a mahagony wood or like
wood from that period in a Rosewood style pattern. The
interior looks just like the day it was made some 123
years ago. Item is in original condition. There has
been no refurbishing, replacement of parts or touch
ups in any description. On the interior there is
wording in raised gold lettering as follows:
Registered Oct 31 1876 July 9 1878 Steinway & Sons New
York US PAT May 14 & 28 1872 Aug 1 1876 May 21 1878
Dec 30 1879 Apr 13 1880 D.R. PAT. 17 July 1878 In
pencil cursive writing the following on interior
panel: JB Simmons June 26 /26 Aug 8 / 30 I assume
August 8 1930 is the last date this item was tuned.

Built in 1878?  What are these later PATENT dates I
see? I would think (based on the looks of the piano)
that it was built between 1915 and 1925.  Also, about
him assuming August 8,1930 was the last date it was
tuned?  I wouldn't be surprised if it was tuned much
more recently than that.  A few months ago I tuned a
friend's Wurlitzer spinet that had a piano tuner's
business card with a date from 1957 (or maybe in the
1960s).  The piano was only about 10 or 15 cents flat,
so it must have been tuned since then.  (I have yet to
hear of any piano (let alone a Wurlitzer spinet) which
holds its tune so well that it only drops 10 cents in
40 years or more...)

http://personals.yahoo.com
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: DCP_0304-Matushek.jpg
Type: image/pjpeg
Size: 14079 bytes
Desc: DCP_0304-Matushek.jpg

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Hallet%20Davis%20Victorian%20Upright.jpg
Type: image/pjpeg
Size: 9138 bytes
Desc: Hallet%20Davis%20Victorian%20Upright.jpg

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Wing_Son_Piano-5pedal-c1905.jpg
Type: image/pjpeg
Size: 15222 bytes