Loose damper lever weights

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:24:17 -0400

Here's a tool you can make for this job.  (Sorry, I don't know who
originated this tool, but the first time I saw this was in RPT Dan Harteau's
toolkit.)

Start with a pair of key-easing pliers (Renner #1616, "keyboard squeezing
pliers") with the upturned jaws that move parallel to each other.  Drill and
tap a hole in each jaw for a common machine thread of your choice (8-24, or
metric).  Insert set screws into these holes with the points facing each
other, and protuding beyond the inside faces of the jaws.  Now you can grab
the lead weights and squeeze without having to remove the damper
underlevers.

It is possible to use ordinary round- or pan-headed machine screws cut to
size, but sometimes the heads are just a little too thick to fit between the
underlevers.

What used to be a long job laced with plenty of cusswords now takes as
little as 15 minutes, if that.  It is now possible to "squeeze in"  any/all
loose damper leads along with any other last-minute emergencies that have a
habit of turning up just as time for the service call is running out.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net