Square Grands

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:37:23 -0400

Well, for one I wish my digital camera was working, I would just send you a
picture. But, in the meantime, picture in your mind - a foot-long piece of
1-1/2 x 1-1/2 spruce, with a six-inch metal tuning extension mounted out of
one end, and the tuning tip on the end of that. Nothing but a long (18")
tuning hammer with a square sectioned handle. Drill a hole near the handle
far end (where your hand would go - drill through the piece from one side &
out the other). Drill a similar hole in near the end of another 12" long
1-1/2 x 1-1/2 spruce piece. Put the two holes together and run a bolt
through (the two pieces will be overlapping and inch or so). The 12"
extension will pivot - it will turn 360 degrees. Now you can put the tuning
hammer on a tuning pin - let's say like down in the low tenor (near the back
left end of the case), and even if your hammer ends up oriented parallel
with the back of the case (real hard to reach while playing the note at the
same time), you can simply swing the extension out your way and remain
seated (you gain those 12 inches - make the darn extension as long as you
need it - I find the 12" to work fine - I can tune all notes while sitting
and playing the keyboard comfortably). You lose some of the nice feel that
you get with a regular hammer, but I used a 1/2-inch bolt that is epoxied in
and a real close fit in the pivoting piece so that there is not any play,
and it is not problem. You still lose something, but the little bit you
might lose in feel will certainly not be the weak link in attempting to
create a master tuning on most square grands - at lease not the ones I tend
to run into!

Does this make sense?

Terry Farrell