naptha/mineral oil and verdigris

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:55:57 EDT

In a message dated 10/22/01 4:28:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
hsrosen@earthlink.net writes:

> List
>   I still say that  mineral oil or silicone won't cure verdigris. I've tr=
> ied the silicone and toluene as Yamaha directs and it works in some slugg=
> ish flange cases  but is also only a temporary fix for verdigris.  The mi=
> neral oil I've not tried. How bout some feedback from you all with extens=
> ive experience with it. Be specific.
>   I'm still waiting for the feedback from Dan Reeds post last week
> __________________________
>
> Don't misunderstand friends. When I spoke highly of 8:1 Naptha/mineral oil
> it was for humidity laden sluggish centers. It does nothing for verdigris.
> Neither does Protek in my experience.
>

> Howard S. Rosen, RPT

Howard

No matter what solution you put in the bushings with verdigris, there is no
product that eliminates it. All these do is allow the pin to rotate in the
effected bushings. Some allow this to go on for a few months, others for just
a few days.

My personal solution to action parts with verdigris is to get rid of them.
Some techs have gone to the trouble of rebushing flanges, etc. But for my
money, in the long run it is not only cheaper to get new parts, but they wil
work much better too.

Willem