Cold

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 19:05:16 EDT

In a message dated 10/22/01 8:00:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
jfryett@minot.ndak.net (Jere Fryett) writes:

> A lady called me today asking about the effects of cold on her piano.  I
> know that it is not real good but did not know the specifics on why.  It
> seems that she will be going south for the winter and wishes to turn off
> the heat in her home during that time period.  Here in North Dakota it can
> get and stay below zero for several days at a time.  It can be as low as
> -40F.  How low can the temperature go and stay for extended periods of time
> before it becomes harmful to her piano?  What precautions should be taken
> to protect the piano from the cold?

I got to this post late and didn't get a chance to read any of the other
of the pianos at the Frank Lloyd Wright estate now for some 15 years.  Each
year, they close up and leave at the end of October.  There is no power left
on except in a few places where the small, caretaker crew resides.  All of
the buildings where the pianos are go unheated throughout the winter.

While it is not quite as cold in Southern Wisconsin as North Dakota, the
temperature does go below zero Fahrenheit (below -20 Centigrade).  There are
well below freezing conditions in each or the places where the pianos are
kept.  There has been a history of fires at the estate, so no one wants to
take any chances with an electrical fire which could be caused by something
like squirrels or other rodents disturbing the wiring.

Amazingly, however, when I return in June, the pianos are right on pitch!
The concert grand in the theater which is used heavily throughout the summer
barely takes me 30 minutes to tune because it is so stable.  The worst
problem is with some verdigris that forms, I presume because of condensation
and disuse.  A little Protek takes care of it for the rest of the season.

I suggest covering the pianos well and when the house is reoccupied, leave
the pianos covered and raise the temperature gradually.  Wait at least a few
weeks before tuning after returning to normal room temperature.  The most
important thing is to not shock the piano with sudden temperature changes.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin