more on this temperament thing

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:01:23 -0700

Terry:

I think that kind of sampling (5 A's and 5 other notes) is probably =
overkill and takes too much time.  Since I tune the lower part of the =
piano using the direct tuning method I agree that the A and C =
measurements are more important.  If you don't want to change the DOB on =
the fly then I think tuning F3, F4 and F5 for the DOB measurement will =
give you a good enough read. =20
If the piano is poorly scaled and the lower part of the tenor bridge =
coincides with F3 and looks a bit like a hockey stick, then move up the =
scale a bit and take A3, A4, A5, or from a point where the inharmonicity =
numbers start to drop a bit.  Tune from that point going up first and =
then down from there using the direct tune method checking aurally as =
you go.  For smaller pianos I find that tuning perfect 4:2's down to =
about B2 and perfect 6:3's the rest of the way usually works pretty =
well.  But the piano will generally tell you where it wants that =
transition to be made. I find it is a pretty reliable and quick way of =
working .

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: October 22, 2001 7:40 PM
  Subject: Re: more on this temperament thing

  Thanks for the input David. What I do usually is do my FAC, and then =
sample 5 A's or whatever note, and often 5 of another note to test =
octaves. I see how they vary and then choose appropriate DOB to get what =
I want. The A measurement has (by far) the dominant effect on the tuning =
calculation. I often measure all three A4 strings, and the middle A#4 =
and the middle G#4 string and see what they look like. It is interesting =
to look at these because often one of the notes will differ quite a bit =
from the others. Remember, there is nothing magical about A4 when =
choosing a note to measure for the FAC tuning calculation. A4 is simply =
(ideally) a representative note from that area of the piano. Anyway, =
after I adjust the DOB to get what I want, I start tuning from A0.

  One of my goals is to adjust my style and start tuning from A4 so that =
I can incorporate adjustments on the fly. I say I have read all of Jim =
Coleman's material - I have. But I have to admit that I have not =
incorporated all of it into my daily tuning routine. I'm working on it!

  Terry Farrell =20
    ----- Original Message -----=20