more on this temperament thing

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:56:13 -0500

On 10/23/01 at 1:26 AM Richard Moody wrote:

>But interesting speculation.   We wonder why in this age (of ET)
there are
>no compositions on the level of Chopin, Mozart, or Beethoven
especially
>since the piano has been in its fullest evolution for the last 110
years.

Richard:

I know some composers who would be deeply offended by that remark.
Mozart had the luxury of working in a time where contemporary music
was all that was played.  We don't.  I think there is some wonderful
stuff being written now that will be considered on a par with Chopin
et al in years to come.  However, the contemporary concert-goer who
hears mostly "the Masters" at local concerts is not ready for the
newer stuff.

Have you listened to anything written in your lifetime lately?

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Meadows School of the Arts