hot hide glue

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:01:24 -0500

>Ron, Newton:
>    Thanks for the replies on the hide glue.  That's what I thought, and
>what I've usually done, but an info. sheet that came with some glue I bought
>once from APSCO said to weigh the water and the glue, but it didn't say in
>what proportion.  Then it said ground glue needs to soak 1 to 2 hrs., but
>flake glue requires 2 to 8 hrs. or even overnight.  And to always pour the
>dry glue into the water, not vice versa (it implied).  This glue I recently
>bought from a woodworking shop looks more like beads than  "ground" or
>"flake", so I thought there might be some difference in how it's prepared,
>but I guess I won't worry about it.    --Dave Nereson, RPT

Dave,
It's like anything that comes with directions, sensible or not. You have to
take the first shot, pay attention, and adjust as necessary. Fortunately,
the stuff is pretty forgiving in the preparation stage if it's not badly
overheated or mixed with something in an attempt to make it do something it
doesn't naturally do. Treat it like you do the ground glue and you should
be in already familiar territory.

Ron N