tempering, was pins and needles

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:04:08 EDT

I wrote:
<<> The needles are much harder and more brittle, they are designed for
> piercing,
> and  I know they break if the temper isn't drawn before tightening the
> screws
> in the voicing tool.

Wim asks:
What does "temper isn't drawn" mean?>>

   To "draw the temper" is to heat a metal up and allow it to cool slowly.
This softens the metal.  "To temper" is to heat it to a specific temp. and
then cool it rapidly.  If you try to bend a needle, it will usually break
before bending.  Once drawn, they will bend like spagetti.
  The tempered steel in needles is what gives them their strength, and if you
want to keep from breaking them in the voicing tools,  you can heat the
eye-end of the needle until it glows red for about 1/4 of its length, let it
cool, and then cut to size.
   By heating a the end, ( a Bic lighter does this in about five seconds),  I
find that the needles are softened about a third to half of their length,
allowing the screws to secure them without cracking them, and the business
end of the needle to remain tempered and resistant to bending.
Hope this helps,
Ed Foote