Voicing M&H BB

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:56:27 -0400

Hi Tom. I had suspicions about those little green things on the end of all
those sticks! Do you have any specific recommendations to liven and brighten
this piano up? If this were my piano, I might consider a softer hammer like
the Ronson or Isaac, but I suspect a more firm hammer will be needed for
this Yamaha sound lover (I will have a chat with him B4 replacing any
hammers addressing the concept of selling this piano and buying a Yamaha).
Is there any hammer more firm than a Abel, short of putting a Yamaha or
other Japanese hammer on the piano. What about a Tokai? I know nothing about
these, except to assume they are hard like any Japanese hammer. Would
something like that work on a lifeless (mellow AND quiet) M&H - keeping in
mind the preferences of the owner - he likes the quick, lively, crisp Yamaha
sound.

One thing to consider here also is that this "recording studio" is the
living room of this guy 's house - we are not trying to get sound to the
back row of nose-bleed seats!

I put a set of Abel lights on an old Baldwin R a while back, and whereas you
would not mistake it for a Yamaha, it is a very quick, lively, crisp - yet
full of warmth sounding piano.

What is your experience in selecting hammers for an Aeolian/M&H BB - and
what might you specifically recommend?

Terry Farrell