Harp Tuning

Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:39:26 -0500

At 12:37 10/26/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a piano client that wants me to tune her harp also. I'm open to new
>adventures - as long as I can do it. Does anyone know how a harp is tuned?
>No stretch? Or do you have to account for string inharmonicity, etc.? If it
>is straight forward, I am game to do it. If it requires some highly
>specialized skill, she needs to find a harp tuner. Anyone know the ABCs of
>harp tuning? I have a SAT III.
>
>Terry Farrell

If it is a "concert" model it will have seven pedals.

FIRST, set them all in the center (natural) position, and check all the
disks to be sure they are IN FACT in the natural position. If not, there is
some regulation which will have to be done. Ask the owner to attend to that.

Then, ask the owner which colour is what note. ...or perhaps just "C" or "A".

Tune one octave with your ETD of choice - most of the harpists I know use a
Korg and either match pitch with it's tone, or watch the needle.

Tune the rest by octaves up and down aurally, and think BIG guitar.

The arm with the tuning handle will be draped over the top as you pluck the
notes/octaves (remember, they're colour-coded). Use the braille system for
moving to the next tuning pin, it's easier/better to watch your plucker
so's you don't get lost.

...and remember...  harpists spend half of the time tuning their
instruments, and the other half playing an out of tune harp...

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(563)-387-1204  //  Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)
=== Note new area code ===

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin and Hobbes