Harp Tuning

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:11:24 -0400

>I have a piano client that wants me to tune her harp also. I'm open to new
>adventures - as long as I can do it. Does anyone know how a harp is tuned?
>No stretch? Or do you have to account for string inharmonicity, etc.? If it
>is straight forward, I am game to do it. If it requires some highly
>specialized skill, she needs to find a harp tuner. Anyone know the ABCs of
>harp tuning? I have a SAT III.
>
>Terry Farrell

A harpist *should* be able to tune her own harp. That said, many have
utilized tuning devices (mostly old Petersons, that I've seen) over
the years. She'd probably be thrilled with ET, no stretch.
Once you've managed that (without breaking any strings -- make sure
the pedals are set properly) then you could measure appropriate
stretch on the fly, try the HT Ric suggested, etc.

Good luck,

Patrick