Kimball player

Jon Page jonpage2001@mediaone.net
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:12:14 -0400

At 12:43 PM 10/26/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi,
>Just pulled the player action out of an old Kimball upright.
>And what should I find but almost all of the leather on the catchies are
>worn down to nothing bit shreads. The felt catchers are still in good
>shape! But the leather needs to be replaced.
>Any good methods for doing the removal  of the remaining leather and its
>replacement?
>I thought of placing the action in my cradle and removing the bridal
>straps, but that would almost mean replacing the straps.
>Then perhaps removing the hammer rest rail to gain more access to the work.
>Suggestions most welcome.
>Joe Goss
><mailto:imatunr@srvinet.com>imatunr@srvinet.com
>www.mothergoosetools.com

I need to do this on a piano also. My plan is to remove what's left of the
buckskin with a small wire wheel in a Dremel tool
while supporting the catcher securely,  let me know if it works...  :-)

For gluing the buckskin on, either hot hide glue or Susan's CA glue trick:
CA on the catcher, white glue on the buckskin.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage2001@mediaone.net