Needed (2) Kawai leg bolts

Richard Wagner Rjwag@pacifier.com
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 12:43:32 -0700

Hi list.

I have a customer who has a Kawai grand vintage late 1960's I believe.  (I
thought I had the serial number close by, but need to rifle my records for
it.)
The only model number present appears to be "350."

Anyway, it is missing two of its leg bolts, and I'm trying to track down
some replacements.

I called Kawai, and they said they no longer stock this type.

They are rather odd in design, with a hole drilled through the head
(somewhat like a capstan screw but not quite) instead of a regular hex
head.  However, the head is not of any concern because a regular hex style
would do just as well.
The BIG PROBLEM is that the diameter and thread are un-matchable by any
means I've tried... And I've tried all I can think of including taking them
to a bolt wholesaler.  Having them custom machined would be prohibitive.
Over all length is 3 5/16"  If they are American, they measure out closest
to 31/64" in diameter.  If metric, they would be nearest to 12.5mm and
threads appear to be 12/inch.

The problem is they don't match any of the above specs precisely.

Before I explore other options such as refitting the piano for standard
1/2" bolts, or employing a Steinway style cam system perhaps(?) I thought
I'd check to see if anyone might just happen to have a couple... you
know... sort of laying around somewhere that they'd be willing to sell?

I have a fuzzy picture available to be E-mailed privately if anyone thinks
they can help out.

Thanks in advance.

Richard Wagner  RPT