SATlll vs Verituner

Sat, 27 Oct 2001 21:51:08 +0200

RptBob1@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 10/27/2001 3:33:58 PM Mid-Atlantic Standard Time,
> Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:
>

>> Myself, after useing RCT and Tunelab for over two years now... I
>> more and more
>> find the resultant tuning lacking..  oh its more evenly spaced
>> (especially in
>> the treble) then I can do without great effort.......but that seems
>> to be the
>> problem... that particular form of eveness seems to lack some
>> character and
>> definition...some clarity... dont really know how to describe it....
>> but
>
> Hi Richard:
>
> But do any of your customers really hear or know the difference?  Are
> you being a bit too hard on yourself.
> Isn't it possible that the clarity,character and definition are just
> in your head-and perhaps no matter what you used, you would never
> really be 100%satisfied.  Equal temperament will never be "perfect"
> for all persons at all times.   Be happy that you are not getting any
> real complaints from your customers (my assumption).

Of course my customers cant "hear" the difference, and as far as that
goes it probably doesnt matter much. To find out if they sense the
difference in some otherway would be quite the chore... a-whole-nother
matter as to the importance of that issue. But thats really beside the
point. Whats wrong with just wanting to know for myself ? Its a fair
question me thinks.... Does the single partial precalculated curve (RCT
and SAT)  perform just as well as the multipartial continuously updated
tuning (Verituner). We dont really know the tuning critera for the
Verituner, tho some of us know pretty much how the SAT and RCT go about
their calculations.

At the heart of this may lie some very interesting tuning issues... ones
I would think many of us should be rightly very curious about.

As to whether or not my mind is playing tricks on me or not... well
hey.. I am human... of course I could be allowing personal prejudice to
trick me... all the more reason to answer the question if you ask me.
And as for being happy that I dont get complaints.... well now Bob... is
that all you ask of yourself ??? really ??...

Btw... I just had MICHEL CAMILO in town... we moved a 9 foot Hamburg S&S
across town, tuned down from 442 to 440, different climate, different
pitch, lights on... Michel explodes on the instrument for two sets and
the next morning used 10 minutes to make sure all was well. The piano
didnt move at all. Not getting real complaints is the easy part.

> I am anxious to experience the Verituner and to that end our Chapter
> is hosting Dave Patterson to demonstrate its virtues.  (this coming
> January in Cleveland).
>
> Bob Bergantino, RPT
> Willoughby Hills, Ohio

Thats Great Bob !... I hope you give it a real critical lookover and
give us your considered thoughts.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.