Insuring an action

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:45:47 -0500

OK, good points, I'll buy all that. Thanks......And I'm glad to hear you =
do not have direct experience with such a case!

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 9:48 AM
  Subject: Re: Insuring an action

  In a message dated 10/29/01 6:09:07 AM Central Standard Time, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

    I know none of us are lawyers here (yes?), so perhaps there will be =
no definitive answer here. But it seems to me to be pretty far fetched =
for a piano owner to "force you to buy a whole new piano" in a case like =
this. I could certainly imagine an extreme situation where they claim =
that a tech ruined their action - the part they worked on. But if the =
tech did nothing to the case and belly, etc., but remove the action from =
it, how in the world could anyone make a claim for a whole new piano =
stick?=20

    I shudder to think............you don't have any direct experience =
with a case like this.............do you?=20

    Terry Farrell  =20

  I don't have any personal experience, Terry, but you hear horror =
stories.=20

  You bring a Starck grand action in your shop, a piano in good =
condition other than the action needs to be overhauled. (This is an art =
case, that has been in the family for 75 years.) For some reason the =
action is destroyed. You can't put in a new action, or even find a =
reconditioned one.  The customer has the right to ask for another piano, =
even a new one, of similar design, quality, etc. You should have =
insruance to pay for that piano. The customer's insurance company is not =
going to cover that. The insurance company might give the money to the =
customer to get another piano, but the insurance company will come after =
you to get their money back.=20

  However, the possibility of an actual loss is very slim. So I carry =
the insurance to cover me "just in case." But that is not the only =
reason I have insurance on the pianos in my shop. I have liability =
insurance not for the damages that MIGHT occur. I have insurance to pay =
the lawyer to defend me in case a customer decides to sue me for =
something I didn't do. You know how it is in the country. You're guilty =
until you can prove yourself innocent. It will cost you a lot of money =
to defend yourself. But if the insurance company has to pay, they will =
defend their interest, or at most, pay the settlement.=20

  Wim=20