stability of pitch raises (Ron's question)

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:58:38 -0600

At 05:50 PM 8/31/01 -0500, Ron N. wrote:

>Ah yes, that would be my other question about how one determines how much
>of a pitch correction is necessary when prorating from cents deviation. You
>don't seem to fit the profile, since you are apparently doing what I asked
>why people weren't doing, so just keep doing what you're doing if it's
>working, and it makes sense to me, but thanks for the response.

I also don't charge for most pitch corrections (either way) unless the
piano is going to require a third pass. I always tell the customers that if
it's required a major pitch correction is $25 extra, but usually it isn't.
I had mentioned that to a customer with a 1909 Heintzman that hadn't been
tuned in 25 years and had been moved 200 miles to where it sits. Although
out of tune it was right on pitch and only needed one pass! I spent the
rest of the allotted time tweaking it, and it didn't need much.

The important thing is not the "extra work" involved, but the extra
time.  My fees cover enough time to do two passes. In 90% of the pianos I
do that's all that's needed.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
mailto: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom