stability of pitch raises (Ron's question)

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 20:18:49 -0500

>...Ah yes, that would be my other question about how one determines how much
>of a pitch correction is necessary when prorating from cents deviation....
>Ron N

Ron, List,

Not certain if this is what you're looking to read, but here goes.

When I charge additional for a pitch change, I don't make the determination
in terms of cents deviation, but in how many passes it takes to accomplish
what I and the customer basically come to understand what a satisfactory
end result is desired/capable given the circumstances that exist.

If it takes one pass to do that, it's a tuning pass.  If it takes two
passes, it is then a pitch change/correction pass, and the a tuning pass.
If it takes three passes, it then is a major pitch/change/correction
(requiring two passes), and then a tuning pass.

That's how I justify additional charges, since each step does require more
professional time of me.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731