easing action centers

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 01:06:35 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: pianolover 88 <pianolover88@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 10:35 PM
Subject: easing action centers

> I'm overhauling an old upright action; the usual stuff, file/reshape
> hammers,new bridles,dampers,etc.
>
> The biggest challenge has been freeing up the action centers; namely the
> hammer flanges. I've applied isopropyl with a tad of water several times,
> and, after drying, the hammers free up a little more each time. i'm
> wondering if more applications will help (four so far), or maybe the list
> might recommend a better way to "shrink" the bushings. It's about 85%
> improved from when i started, and I'll do ANYTHING to not have to repin
the
> whole thing! I'll wait for replies before my FINAL step of applying protek
> clp. Thanks all!
>
> Terry Peterson
> Precision Piano Service
> Torrance, CA

 I would try it again, but with maybe half water, half alcohol.  I've even
used straight water on actions with really tight centers.  But twice that
had too much effect (old pianos, both), and made the centers too loose, and
I had to repin many of them.  Now I'll not use straight water unless the
centers are extremely tight (two swings or less).  Others, of course, swear
by Protek, zappers, etc.        --Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver