referall fees; last gasp (reality)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 08:21:21 -0400

Good, really good. Check is in the mail.

I'm just trying to figure out what are common business practices in this =
industry, and it does appear that among more than half the rebuilders =
that some sort of referral/subcontracting fee is commonplace.

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 6:55 AM
  Subject: Re: referall fees; last gasp (reality)

  At 03:37 PM 08/30/2001 -0400, you wrote:

    My dear Aunt Piannagonebad lives in Saskatoon. I do not live in your =
area. I told her that I know of a very reputable, ethical, skilled and =
talented piano rebuilder in her area. But I gave her your name instead.  =
 ;-)   (Humor Roger, humor!) I gave you a call and told you to expect a =
call my dear auntie. She signs a contract with you for you to do a =
complete job. $30,000 Canadian. Clearly, you have this work becuase I =
sent it to you. Do you have a method to make me really happy? Or do I =
just go to bed tonight feeling all warm and fuzzy inside, but no T-bone =
for dinner? Who knows, I might have an Uncle Piannasoontogobad in =
Sutherland!
    =20
    Keeping Cool in Tampa
    Terry Farrell =20

  Would you go into a restaurant and ask for a free meal because you =
have recommended their establishment
  to many people and they owe you something?     Ask your car mechanic =
how much he will fork over if you
  send someone his way.  Don't forget to call dentists, doctors and =
other service personnel to see who offers
  the biggest referral fee. How many pockets do you need to keep your =
hands into to increase your income.

  Whatever happened to customer service for its own sake?  If there is a =
service which you do not perform,
  would it not be in your best interest to simply channel this work to =
someone competent? =20

  This gets close to what I consider the industry slimeballs - piano =
brokers.  They will charge the customer a=20
  fee and then behind their backs tell the retailer that they will =
recommend their piano IF they give them a=20
  sizable commission (extortion); double dipping.  The customer (who =
believes that this agent is acting in
  their best interest because that's what they are paying them for) may =
not be directed to the best piano for
  their needs,  just the piano which offers more profit for the agent.

  Now don't forget to discount your tuning fee to your customer who =
referred you to someone else and
  keep your wallet handy when asking advise. After all, if you are =
charging for information; expect to pay for it.

  That'll be....$.02, please...

  Regards,
  Jon Page

  PS   That piano teacher you recommended, hit her up as well.