tuning exam

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat, 01 Sep 2001 12:43:09 -0500

On 9/1/01 2:04 PM, "Gary McCormick" <gmcc@pipeline.com> wrote:

> Is it appropriate to ask how the scoring is done on the tuning exam?

It is appropriate to ask, just difficult to answer briefly.

> I'm trying to practice the temperament test using RCT; pulling up the record
> of my own piano, after tuning a temperament, I manually record what I've
> done, and compare it to  the tuning record.

Reyburn Cyber-Tuner is often used to score the actual PTG tuning exam, so
you have a good tool to use in your practice. Go to the RCT manual and read
the portion on scoring the PTG tuning exam. You can use RCT to calculate a
tuning that will approximate an exam reference tuning for your piano, and
then you can record your own tuning on the examinee page and then use RCT to
score your tuning. You have a great resource.

> On a couple of notes, I may be off 1.10 cents, and the rest anywhere from
> .12 to .50 cents.  Is this acceptable?

Yes, the tightest tolerances on the exam are +/- 0.9 cents, so if you really
are tuning to within .5 cents except on a few notes, you are definitely in
good shape.

> At the moment I feel like I'm trying
> to beat the machine, and I don't know that I can do that.

At the risk of sounding like Obi Wan Kenobi, don't compete with RCT, but
rather use it's power as a resource, and integrate visual tuning and aural
beat rate checks to get the best possible result.

There is a tuning exam screening manual available free (I think) from the
home office that provides good information on how to decide if you are ready
for the exam. And the PTG Tuning Exam Sourcebook, _the_ text on preparing
for the exam, is for sale at the home office as well.

Best wishes,

Kent Swafford