easing action centers

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Sat, 01 Sep 2001 11:25:41 -0700

At 09:53 AM 9/1/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>What are Don Mannino broaches? Where are they available? What are Schaff
>anvils? Can I assume the broaches are the uniform diameter broaches
>available from the supply shops? Never heard of the anvils, but sound
>interesting. Thanks.

I heard Horace Greeley say once that Don Mannino's broaches alone ought to
qualify him for a Golden Hammer award. One of the best time-savers
ever. Repinning will never be the same after you try them.

I called it an "anvil", but the real name in the Schaff catalog (p. 44)
is Center Pin Extractor. Their description: "Production type tool is to be
mounted on a work bench for fast removal of center pins. Base of the extractor
is made of an aluminum casting measuring 4" in length. Overall height is 5".
Comes with a flat cap attachment for inserting center pins into flanges. Extra
removal pins are available. No. 178"

In a pinch, thick piano wire would do fine for the removal pin.

I bought two of these, so that one is set up for removing pins and the other
has the flat cap for inserting them. Then I mounted them back to back on
a small board, after using a Forstner bit to make a cavity below the removal
one. That way the old center pins fall through onto the table, and I can
just lift the board and sweep the old pins into a wastebasket.

They are handy, since one can set them up anywhere convenient, and I
don't have to go to the car for my center pinning tool. I keep the center
pins in old plastic film cans with the size on the lid and can. I take
off the lids of the sizes I think I'll need, and pour some center pins
into them, putting them right in front of their own film cans. I have
a spare set of broaches for home, and one in the car. Ditto endcutters.

I wish the rest of my kit were that well organized, but I'm set up for
convenience in doing a few tasks, at least.

Susan