tuning exam

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 14:54:36 -0400

..having freshly passed the test, I'll chime in..

It sounds like you're aurally tuning and testing yourself against the
machine..that's how I did it.

Don't try to beat the machine..just watch for your 'tendencies'..my tendency
was to be too far on the high side in the 5th and 6th octaves..since I have
learned to temper that tendency, my tunings have improved quite a bit.

In the 7th octave, you will be required to tune 2:1 octaves..which, to my
ear, tend to sound a tad flat, but that's what the test requires..it's fair.

Outside of the temperament going towards the bass, listen to how your 6ths
progress along with your 3rds..I use to just listen to the 5ths, and if they
were clean, I went on..wrong..a good tuning will have progressing 3rds and
6ths getting slower as you head down..once you get down to the single
strings, listen to the inside minor 3rd-6th test..this will help you down
there.

I recommend listening to your tests BEFORE you look at what the machine is
telling you..you won't have the machine with you during the test and you
need to _know_ that what you're doing is correct and WHY it's correct..IF
you're tuning aurally, and it sounds like that's what you're doing.

good luck,

roo(k)

PS - you need dead silence on your unisons..I scored in the 90's on the
unisons, but I was amazed that the testers knew which ones to 'look
at'..humbling.