Old S&S vertical

philromano@attglobal.net philromano@attglobal.net
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 16:46:46 -0400

Hi List,

Yesterday i saw an interesting old steinway vertical. 85 note (is this =
an E model or F....) serial # 40767.The tech manual dates this as  circa =
1878.Beautiful burled walnut (I think it's Walnut) veneer. Had been =
refinished a number of years back and the job was pretty good. Very =
little done to action. A few damper felts and a few dozen clip on bridle =
tapes have been replaced. Some broken flanges worn hammers etc. I only =
gave it a cursory inspection but it was eveident that no major work had =
been done to action,  strings, board or bridges. Of course the owner =
said it had been "completely overhauled" and the tech who did the work =
informed her it was in "Mint condition" She wants to sell it (for =
$11,000!!!!). I tried to be diplomatic and explain that it had in fact =
not been "overhauled" and attempted to show her why. She claims to have =
talked to the factory and they told her it was worth $15K. I asked if =
she had given them the serial # and she said they told her they didn't =
use the number to determine the value anymore! This piano would likely =
be a museum quality piece (my opinion) if properly restored.

Coincidentally, I own a similiar piano. # 39551. Same year and largely =
the same condition. Mine however is a rosewood cabinet and not nearly as =
aesthetically pleasing. I've been holding on to it for years vowing to =
start working on it as soon as I have the extra cash!

What kind of actual value do you think these pianos have?=20

Phil Romano
Myrtle Beach, SC
omano@attglobal.net