stability of pitch raises

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 18:54:18 EDT

In a message dated 01/09/01 6:39:55 PM, ptizzard@mweb.co.za writes:

<< I also thought I had seen something Al Sanderson had written about starting

a pitch raise from A0, and continuing onward and upward chromatically. I had

always started pitch raise's with setting a temperament, and tuning as per

normal as quickly as possible. Obviously the only way to do the chromatic

pitch raise is with an ETD. >>

Paul;
 While I am an aural tuner and don't use an ETD for 'normal' tuning I can't
address the "pitch raise" portion but as for plate loading I can
somewhat......
In the shop when I restring a piano I use the SAT to chip and tune, 2
chippings and numerous tunings. When I start applying the multiple tunings
needed to get new strings to the point where they are really tunable and
starting to stabilize I find the process faster and easier with the SAT.
When I chipped and tuned aurally it would take about 10/12 tunings, using a
normal bearing plan, before I started feeling good about the stability of the
strings. With  the SAT, and starting from A0, the stabilizing begins much
faster usually around  6/8 tunings................I can't explain
why...whether it is soundboard movement, plate flex, string stretch or some
combination that is different with starting from A0.......but it does work
for new strings and I see no reason why it would not work with a "pitch
raise".
Jim Bryant (FL)