stability of pitch raises

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Sat, 01 Sep 2001 22:37:07 -0400

> I also thought I had seen something Al Sanderson had written about starting
> a pitch raise from A0, and continuing onward and upward chromatically. I had
> always started pitch raise's with setting a temperament, and tuning as per
> normal as quickly as possible. Obviously the only way to do the chromatic
> pitch raise is with an ETD. Can anyone expand on the chromatic technique?

That is correct.  Start at A and go up and tune all the unisons as you go.  This
is critical to a good tuning because the machine will calculate an over pull
based upon the premis that the unison will be tuned as you go up the scale.  If
this is not the case then you will need to incrfease the over pull to 305
instead of 25% to the the same result

Now, I go up an octave to the middle of the bass section to determine the offset
and I use that one offset of the entire bass.  When I get into the middle
section I will go up about a major third to pickup an offset because the first
several notes in the middlesection are way way off but change the least and I
will tune the first two major thirds to that one offset then I will change the
offset about every major thrid after that until I get into the treble where I
change the offset every fifth or so.

I get a really, really close tuning and find the second pass to need very little
change either up or down but a secon d tunign is required.

Hope this is helpful.