Verituner

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 10:20:13 -0500

Tom,

<<Is it me becoming an older fudder duddy, or are we getting further away
from
the art of tuning. ...and now I'm back enjoying aural tuning almost
exclusively.>>

Ditto! from a young fuddy duddy.

<<Except for pitch raising and horrible pianos ( which I rarely
do anymore) the SAT sits in my case. I like it, I understand it, just choose
not to use it.>>

It is the same with me, Tom. I used the SAT when I got started, then used it
to help with learning aural tuning, and have used it since becoming
comfortable with aural tuning. But, I made the decision to put it aside.
Since doing exclusively aural tuning (even on pitch corrections and
horribles), it is amazing how much the mind can interpret the sounds the ear
hears. There are techniques of listening and striking the key that I have
learned to employ out of necessity; and I would not have learned that with
the SAT alone. I'm not saying I tune better than anyone else, but I know
that I have obtained the skills to properly tune just about any piano.

One thing that I want to learn to do with the SAT is to record my aural
tunings and use them on the same model piano, e.g. Baldwin Acrosonic. Not
hard to do, but just have not yet done it.

<<It's just I have fallen in love with aural tuning all over again and find
much more satisfaction at the end of a good aural tuning.>>

Yup.

<<Back to the Verituner...I have heard nothing but raves of this machine and
find it tempting to fork over the mula for an upgrade. I would love to road
test it for a week>>

Yup, me too. My wife and I just had a baby boy on August 27, so I seriously
doubt the $1495 will be allocated for that any time soon. :-)

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS
PTG Associate, Memphis Chapter

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com