Verituner

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 11:42:17 EDT

> The first tuning with the VT was

I've read most of what has been said about this.  While I'm not saying that
this new ETD is not somehow more advanced than previous ones, I tend to side
with the aural tuning perspective.  The "stunning" sound that comes from a
higher degree of precision can just as easily be achieved aurally.  It's all
in whether the person doing the tuning wants to work on that high of a level
or not.

That is why my tuning was so impressive at the Convention in Providence.  It
was worked up until it really and truly was what it was meant to be.  No
*offsets* to compensate for *anticipated drop* or anything like that, just
pure, rock solid precision.  It can't be done in 45 minutes and from my
experience, many people, including those who run the Convention don't want
that level of tuning demonstrated because they feel it is somehow threatening
and disturbing to the status quo.

And I must add that while I believe firmly in the clearest, beatless unisons
possible, I do not believe in this long accepted but obviously now obsolete
idea that the piano sounds at its very best when the temperament and octaves
are all made to be as *even* as possible.  Yes, it's what the Exam Committee
has come up with and it's what all the books and courses say and of course
it's the basis on which all the scientists who make these tuning devices,
synthesizers, electronic keyboards, etc., believe in but it's only because
they're all still stuck on the *arbitrary* idea developed in the middle of
the 18th Century.  That idea had absolutely *no* foundation in music practice
or theory.

I don't need a device that tells me what to do, especially if I know that
it's wrong to begin with.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin