Verituner

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 14:17:05 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "John M. Formsma" <jformsma@dixie-net.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2001 11:20 AM
Subject: RE: Verituner

> Tom,
>
> <<Is it me becoming an older fudder duddy, or are we getting further away
> from
> the art of tuning. ...and now I'm back enjoying aural tuning almost
> exclusively.>>
>
> Ditto! from a young fuddy duddy.
>
> <<Except for pitch raising and horrible pianos ( which I rarely
> do anymore) the SAT sits in my case. I like it, I understand it, just
choose
> not to use it.>>
>
> It is the same with me, Tom. I used the SAT when I got started, then used
it
> to help with learning aural tuning, and have used it since becoming
> comfortable with aural tuning. But, I made the decision to put it aside.
> Since doing exclusively aural tuning (even on pitch corrections and
> horribles), it is amazing how much the mind can interpret the sounds the
ear
> hears. There are techniques of listening and striking the key that I have
> learned to employ out of necessity; and I would not have learned that with
> the SAT alone. I'm not saying I tune better than anyone else, but I know
> that I have obtained the skills to properly tune just about any piano.
>
> One thing that I want to learn to do with the SAT is to record my aural
> tunings and use them on the same model piano, e.g. Baldwin Acrosonic. Not
> hard to do, but just have not yet done it.
John,
This is one area where the SAT is your best friend. Because you get to
record, what you think, are your best efforts.  Just be prepared for a
3.5hr.session, as you will find yourself going back and forth fudging on
your tuning.  In my opinion, this is better than taking the RPT exam. Now
you get the oppotunity to tune, master tune and critisize all in one. You'll
soon  realize the effort it takes to arrive at that level.
I have recorded many tunings and found out that I am constantly trying to
improve them each time I tune that particular piano.  So what I'm trying to
say is, do the recording, enjoy the experience, and plan on uprgrading that
tuning continously. It's a grooming process.
Tom Servinsky,RPT