Quality of Pianos

Sun, 02 Sep 2001 21:59:14 +0200

Doepke Family wrote:

> Antares,
>  Could you please elaborate on the different images between the US Petrofs
> and the European ones?
>
> Thanks

I doubt seriously that there is any difference at all, aside from perception. I
remember my first encounter with a Petrof. It was 1981, I had just moved from
Seattle to Bergen. I was relatively new at pianotuning, and had tuned mostly
american made spinets, Story and Clarks... Wurly's, Acrosonics... and the like.
I was really impressed with Petrof at the time. Full rich sound, clear and
clean.... well... I suppose all things are relative.

Petrofs do have a pretty nice basic sound. I dont think I know anyone who will
dispute that when it comes down to it. But after servicing several hundreds of
these through the years I have become familiar with some typical Petrof problems
and I have seen Petrofs in the US with these same.

You may buy a Petrof and be very pleased with it, but it is my experience that
Petrofs are a more risky bet then say a Schimmel, a Sauter, a Yamaha, or other
such pianos I typically hear them compared too.

As always, your local RPT resource can help you with this, and if you do decide
to buy a Petrof, this resource should be able to help you pick out a
satisfactory instrument and assist you in its care.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.