stability of pitch raises (Ron's question)

Sun, 2 Sep 2001 12:53:19 -0700

I use an ETD and do not do 2 pass tunings.  If you are not confident in
stability and accuracy the first time through it seems a waste of time. That
being said, however, in a concert/recording or other critical situation, I
will, invariably, go through a second time more carefully and check my work,
progressions and intervals, even though I always go through and check
unisons after I am done. (By the way, for concerts and recording sessions I
do charge slightly more because I pay attention to more details:  voicing,
regulation etc..)  This is not nearly so time consuming as doing a rough
pass for a pitch raise followed by a second fine tuning and so for that I
charge more (about half a tuning).  I would guess that those who do two pass
tunings are not having to move and set every note again--what would be the
point of the first tuning if it was so sloppy that you had to do it over
again completely.  Therefore, their second pass is appreciably less work
than a full pitch raise and fine tuning.  Thus, a charge for the pitch raise
would be in order.

David Love