stability of pitch raises (Ron's question)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 02 Sep 2001 16:37:57 -0500

>> How can one compute charges on something they can't define?
>
>Last I heard, tuning fees are arbitrary, and don't necessarily reflect the
>actual work needed to get a specific piano in tune; why shouldn't pitch
>raise charges be arbitrary as well?

Not for those who say they prorate the charges with the amplitude of
change. The claim implies a method, whether a method actually exists or
not. I was looking for the method in this case. I have nothing against
arbitrary either, but don't see much point in throwing up a smoke screen of
implied process where none exists.

>I don't always charge for a pitch adjustment (guess that means I'm not
>invited to comment here), but I am not offended by the practice of other
>techs who charge for pitch raises in order to "punish" the customer because
>it's been too long since the last tuning.

You certainly are invited to reply here, being the only one so far who has
actually attempted to answer my question.

Thank you.

Ron N