stability of pitch raises (Ron's question)

Richard Raskob raskobrg@spinn.net
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 16:58:19 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2001 12:34 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: stability of pitch raises (Ron's question)

OK folks,
I got a couple of good responses to the actual question early on, but this
has once again wandered off into a series of answers not relating to the
question asked. The question was, and still is:

If folks are habitually doing two pass tunings anyway, and since they're
probably using an ETD that does pitch raises within a couple of cents of
dead on in one pass (as we read repeatedly), why would they find it
necessary to charge anything above the cost of a tuning for a pitch
adjustment?

...snip
Hello Ron and list,

I habitually do two pass tunings. I do charge for pitch adjustments of more
than 5 or 6 cents.  It is at that point that I find that the work required
to do a job I find acceptable becomes greater than a piano with less than
that amount off. The method I use to determine the overall pitch of the
piano is to compare the middle note of the treble bridge to the
corresponding note on the tuning I have chosen for the piano.  I define the
middle note of the treble bridge as the note that has the same number of
unisons above it as it has below it on that bridge.  On many pianos that
means I check two notes.  I measure all three (or six) strings in the
unison(s) and average the numbers.  On most pianos needing a pitch
correction between 6 and 100 cents I can achieve an acceptable tuning in two
passes. Pitch corrections greater than that tend to take another full pass.
I take my tuning fee, subtract the amount I assign to travel, divide by two
and that is my pitch adjustment fee which is added to my regular tuning
charge.   The larger than 100 cent adjustments are charged 2 pitch
adjustment fees (I don't see many of these). I don't look at the charge as a
time related issue but a value related issue. If a repair job takes a
average technician 4 hours to complete but I have the skills and tools to
complete the same job at the same quality level in 3 hours should I charge
just 3 hours? For the average technician to achieve the same results of my
pitch adjustment and tuning would take longer than a standard tuning. I find
it necessary to charge for pitch adjustments because I believe a technician
needs to charge an amount that is equal to the value of the service given.

I think I addressed your questions. If not, feel free to ask for
clarification.

Richard Raskob
raskobrg@spinn.net