stability of pitch raises (Ron's question)

Sun, 2 Sep 2001 22:49:49 -0700

Ron:

Admittedly, I don't know why someone would make a "first pass" at a piano at
pitch.  Personally, I would consider that unnecessary and charging extra for
it wouldn't make sense.
But everyone has there own preference.  When I mentioned about flat rating,
my point was that tuning a piano which is already at pitch and is capable of
being tuned in one pass ought to take less time than pulling a piano up to
pitch from a quarter tone flat and then going over it a second time to fine
tune it.  An additional charge for the second condition would, in my
opinion, be warranted.  Whatever technique you use to tune a piano which is
already at pitch seems irrelevant as long as you are consistent in your fee
structure.  It would be my guess, however (all things being equal), that the
two passes to bring a piano that is a quarter tone flat into tune would take
longer than the two passes to bring a piano that is already at pitch into
tune.

David Love