stability of pitch raises

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 19:19:52 +0200

Terry,  there is nothing "wrong" with spending 2 hours to do a pitch
raise and final tuning, and I wouldnt worry too much about words to
the contrary. Ok... some folks can get the job done faster.. some
take more time. When I run into a piano that is lower then around
432, I simply bring it up to pitch and let it sit for a few days
before fine tuning it. I charge the person for two full 1.5 hour
visits and I fill all three hours with plenty of things the piano
benifits from. I am certainly not alone in this approach.

Most of our colleagues know enough about the "different strokes for
different folks" concept that it wouldnt enter their wildest dreams
to criticize a fellow tech over such differences. Ok...we all
scratch our heads at each other once in a while...but that just
looks funny and life would be boring without it..or what ?

Point is that you do what works for you, you try and remain open to
other ideas, and of course you keep on learning and getting better.
I never take 10 minutes on a pitch raise...and if somebody else can
and does well so what ? I dont (for myself) see the need to stress
(and thats what a 10 minute pitch raise would be for me) with it.
Other guys / gals may find that tempo anything but
stressfull...perhaps quite the oposite.

As for whether or not anyone can do a really fine quality tuning
including a significant pitch raise in 38.5 minutes....I have never
seen it done...I have heard of it...and find it fantastic...and
think well hey....who knows......but above and beyond that the point
simply in totaly uninteresting to me. What another person can or
cant do is....well about them and not about me.

I guess the bottom line in all this is that if you give the customer
their moneys worth in any job... and maybe plus a little they didnt
pay for...then you are doing fine. Better, in fact, it is difficult
to do IMHO and all that. :)

Ric B

--
Richard Brekne