SV: Tuning Time & Pitch Raises

Ola Andersson pianola@online.no
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 02:23:49 +0200

I agree with your post

I'm also a Jim Coleman wannabe
But I also pitchraise in in whole steps, like you suggested, moving the =
hammer in a row and putting pressaure (sp?) to the soundboard 9 times =
for each pitch raise. Very fun and clever.
That makes me a Bill Bremmer wannabe too.=20

Why not buy Colemans Videos?=20

Ola Andersson
Bergen Norway
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 9:23 PM
  Subject: Tuning Time & Pitch Raises

  List,=20

  I only had time to read a little of this thread but I'd like to calm =
the=20
  fears of those who think they just aren't tuning fast enough.  Take =
your=20
  time, do the job right and well.  It takes a great deal of experience =
to=20
  develop a really fast and sure technique, just as it does to be a =
really fine=20
  and accomplished musician.=20

  When visiting with Terry Peterson in June, he asked me about how long =
I would=20
  spend for the usual tuning fee.  It may easily only take me 10-15 =
minutes to=20
  move through a small vertical piano that is not far off pitch.  To do =
the=20
  same amount of work, it may take others up to 2 hours.  I never feel=20
  satisfied that just one pass is good enough, so I always do at least 2 =
passes=20
  which in most cases takes 30-45 minutes and I collect my fee.=20

  On the other hand, I cannot change the pitch of any piano which is =
more than=20
  20 cents off with any less than 3 passes and have a good, stable =
tuning=20
  result.  The first pass takes more time because each pin takes more =
cranking.=20
   The next two go more quickly.  A full half step pitch raise is a =
major=20
  undertaking.  Don't think it is anything less than that.  It would =
take me at=20
  least 4 passes.  I read about so many people saying that it will take =
2=20
  passes, so they charge extra for a 1/2 step.  DUH!=20

  Such a drastic change would take me at least 90 minutes and is NOT =
POSSIBLE=20
  in just 2 passes, I don't care how fancy your ETD is.=20

  On the other hand, the "stunning" tuning that has been talked about =
recently=20
  is a work of art for which no constraints of time can ever apply.  =
I've often=20
  heard people say how important it is to take new FAC or other =
measurements=20
  each time then proceed to do the one pass, calculated hit.  Believe =
me,=20
  folks, whatever precision there is in these measurements is =
*completely*=20
  negated by scale irregularities and the amount by which the tuning =
doesn't=20
  really hold as it is foolishly expected to do.=20

  The time it takes is relevant to the circumstances and so is the =
method. For=20
  the novice tuner, the best advice is to keep trying, keep your mind on =
your=20
  work, eliminate wasted time between movements, don't ever expect to =
really=20
  fine tune any piano by manipulating each pin only once and you'll be =
doing=20
  the best you can.  The speed will come with practice and experience.=20

  By the way, I learned my basic approach from Jim Coleman and George=20
  Defebaugh.  George is gone but if you value the wisdom of experience, =
ask Jim=20
  Coleman about how long a small pitch correction should take and =
whether any=20
  piano can really be properly tuned with only one correction to each =
string.  =20
  Jim often writes about some of the finer points these days but I feel =
the=20
  time may be right for him to talk about some of the most basic =
concepts for=20
  this List and for the record.=20

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20