Betsy Ross pianos

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 23:16:19 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: RCzekay@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 6:43 PM
  Subject: Re: Betsy Ross pianos

  Well put Terry,=20

  The Betsy Ross was nothing more than a toy piano, and why any =
respectful=20
  technician would even give a second thought to replacing plastic =
flanges, and=20
  taking the customers money, when the end result will still be a piano =
that=20
  plays and sounds like a toy, is beyond me. But of course, the customer =
is=20
  always right, right? It would be doing the customer a big favor to try =
to=20
  educate him, and to try to improve his taste in music, by purchasing a =
piano=20
  that really is one.=20

  Roy Czekay=20
  Milwaukee, WI=20
         =20
      Roy,
        I happen to be a respectful technician who would love to service =
only finer pianos, but  when presented  with one of these piano's  =
purchased in 1955 at great sacrifice to provide a musical education for =
the kids now lovingly polished and played at christmas with lousy bass =
tone, false beats and yes broken elbows, I'm going to  congratulate them =
on the finest purchase they've ever made and replace those elbows at a =
fair price. If it can't be serviced , I'll be direct and walk away
   I let them know this is not a fine piano  and  won't talk about =
restringing, new hammers , or any other work that exceeds the piano's =
value and will always encourage upgrades when the situation warrants.=20
      I'm almost 30 years in and  next to the Steinway action on the =
bench , I don't mind seeing a Lester or a  Janssen ( Just no Kincaids - =
I'm not a masochist )
      Tom Driscoll