sat-rct-vt-tlp

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 17:29:49

I'll try to add a little to the Veritune/ pitch adjustment discussion.

When using Veritune, I usually play A5, A4, A3, A2, A1 and then go to A0.
(this gives me an idea of the starting pitch across the scale, and pitch
raising starts from A0) At this point, the machine has calculated a full
tuning on par with tunelab, rct, and the sat.  It's a little misleading to
say that the Veritune NEEDS two passes to do a tuning.

As the first pass is completed, (yes, quick and dirty will do) the machine
samples all the notes up to the 7th octave.  Now, with the added
information, verituner has been calculating and recalculating a tuning that
the other machines can't match, especially on less than perfect scales.

I understand the reluctance of some to rely on a machine to make tuning
choices.  For me, it's all about trust. It IS possible to get a great
tunings aurally, or with any of the above listed machines.  Tuning is just
solving a big puzzle for me.  Yet, there are some instruments that force
choices that make me 'back up' farther than I'd like to go.  Many times it's
problems across the break that causes trouble.  Start shifting things there,
and you have to go back to even things out.  I tune an alternate temperament
most of the time, so that's not as big of a problem anymore, but those of
you that want to stay strictly equal temperament sometimes are forced to
choose between even progressions of one interval over another.

Last June, for our chapter, I set a tuning on one piano with a maximum
offset from equal temperament of one cent.  Using any kind of checks, this
was clearly NOT et anymore.  So if your choices force you to optomize one
interval over another, shifting something about one cent or more, is it
still et?  It doesn't take much to stray from et!

So..... with this new machine, I feel that I can trust the choices it makes,
based on the first pass.  I'm free to concentrate on posture, breathing,
hammer technique and unisons. (working meditation?)

The custom stretch option lets YOU set the octave widths.  Split between 4-2
and 6-3 in the temperament?  No problem.  Balance between double triple and
single octaves in the 7th octave? Sure!

I haven't really taken the time to try out all the options on this new tool.

I was happy with my Korg, setting an octave and working out from there.
I was happy with my new Korg (MT-1200), taking a big step with more
precision and with some built-in stretches, checking intervals as I went.
I was happy with RCT, taking another big step using digital sampling to
calculate a tuning for an individual piano.
I was happy with the upgraded RCT, using the preview graphs to help decide
what stretches to tweak in different parts of the piano.
I'm happy with Verituner, bringing a new level of calculated tunings to help
my clients make music with their instruments.

Listen to the people with experience with this tool.  It's not like the
others.

(I get no comissions from Verituner)

Ron Koval
Chicagoland