hammer juice

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 18:11:02 EDT

David asks:
>Why use grain alcohol that has some water in it and would seem to have
>some
>counterproductive properties  Why not use denatured, or does it have water
>in it too?

Greetings,
   The "denatured" aspect of alcohol is related to the poisonous additive,
which allows it to be sold without the liquor tax.  This type of alcohol is,
if I rememberr my high school chemistry class, is commonly about 40% water.
The grain alcohol sold at the liquor store is 190 proof, which is 95%
alcohol.  If you try to take it to the purest state of 100%,  it will break
down into water/alcohol mix of about 95%.  Which is enough to make it dry.
    Anhydrous alcohol is difficult to keep that way,  i think it takes a very
low temperature.
Regards,
Ed Foote