Junking 1st Piano Problem

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 07:52:12 -0400

I am in my fourth year of this business. I have had my shop going for three
years. I have been building the requisite collection of old pianos since day
#1. I cleaned out my garage last weekend where I had been storing 4 old
uprights. The 1883 Blasius & Sons is from my church and will be rebuilt -
that went into the shop. The 1906 Mayfield is soooo big (58"), has a pretty
case, and has soooo much room for a Del F.-designed bass bridge, etc., it
will be rebuilt - that went into the shop. The 1914 Starr.....well, it has
good veneers under the alligatored finish - my son's piano teacher will take
it and make a desk out of it (I originally bought this piano to learn tuning
on - wasn't even good for that!).

My problem comes with the 4th piano in the garage. An 1895 Knabe 54"
upright. It has the simple-but-beautiful burled walnut case. The piano needs
top-to-bottom rebuilding (and inside and out). It has a moderate amount of
apparent termite damage (old - no active termites). Case has a few trim
pieces missing. Action frame is wood. 3/4, full-perimeter plate. Separate
low tenor bridge. This obviously WAS a very, very nice, high-quality, piano
100 years ago. The termite damage seems to be pushing me over the edge
toward tossing it out. I know so well that when you disassemble a
termite-bitten object, you will find ten-fold or greater damage within.

I have yet to junk my first piano (although I have told many clients to junk
theirs!). This is quickly becoming a traumatic experience for me. Will the
piano goddess forgive/understand me if I disassemble this old beauty with a
sledge hammer? I would at least hang the plate on my shop wall! Would anyone
(with a clear conscience) recommend that I keep and rebuild this piano (that
is, am I doing the right thing?)?

I know these questions sound like they are coming from an amateur, but I
think the first time can be difficult for anyone who loves and respects the
wonderful world of pianos and the craftspersons who created these fine
monuments to music.

Terry Farrell