Penalizing: Was "Betsy Ross pianos"

Jon Page jon.page@verizon.net
Wed, 05 Sep 2001 08:00:03 -0400

At 08:40 PM 09/04/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Terry,
>
>I am under the impression that there are a few piano technicians who really do
>think it is okay to add a penalty charge because the piano was more neglected
>than they thought it should be.  My guess is they obscure that charge
>somehow on
>the invoice.  I can't see it;  I just can't see how this can be fair at all.
>And I suspect that if *they* were ever penalized by the painter, or
>plumber, or
>barber, they would look at things altogether differently.  I don't know if you
>are wierd or not, but I agree with you on this.
>
>Regards, Clyde

I would do a quick pitch raise and a rough tuning in an hour and not fret
over precision.
I didn't charge over my normal fee and most times less to impress upon them
the fact
that the piano was neglected. I would then advised that more frequent
servicing will
bring the piano into better condition. If they didn't follow-up and let the
piano drift back,
then they would have anyway and I would have gone to extra trouble for nothing.

I'm much happier doing all shop work now...

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jon.page@verizon.net
http://www.stanwoodpiano.com