ETDs & Non-Equal Temperaments

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 11:01:35 -0400

>      Earlier, someone listed the four ways to use an ETD.

That was me.

>  I would offer a fifth, ie, tune your best aural ET tuning and
> record it into the machine, then don't be shy about refining your page it
> each time you use it, subjecting your tunings to your own critique.
>      Once you are comfortable with an ET for a given piano, as your ears
tell
> you, then you can slam-dunk one of Owen Jorgensen's rows of numbers on top
of
> the ET template and you get very nice results.

Yup, this is what I currently do (or at least what I will admit to doing).
If one is using an ETD and offsets, this is clearly the superior way to do
it. But I am talking about walking into someones home and putting a non-ET
tuning on their piano. I wish to avoid tuning the the whole piano to ET, and
then starting over and tuning it to a non-ET.

>    I temper to divide an octave. I know what kind of octave I like, and I
> don't alter it to suit a tempering scheme.

So is this to say that in a situation where you have never tuned a
particular piano and it is to be tuned in the Valotti temperament, you would
calculate an FAC tuning - do any adjusting to the FAC numbers or Double
Octave Beats, or whatever, to make the ETD spit out an ET tuning that would
meet with your approval (based on how various octaves/double
octaves/whatever octaves sound - and not based on an analysis of progression
of thirds, fifths, etc., etc.) - and then add the appropriate offsets and
tune to what the machine indicates?

>     Isuppose I would ask "Whadda ya mean by 'best'?".

Boy, that IS an elusive term, isn't it. Without starting a furry (given the
current context), by best I simply mean a something that most tuners would
agree is technically a very good tuning.

The reason I ask about this topic is that I don't know how to tune the
Valotti (or any other non-ET) aurally, and I certainly do not know what
aural checks to use or how to use them. I am miles away from anything like
that at this point. But I hope to identify a way to put a good non-ET on a
piano without tuning it first in ET. So I think that means program the SAT
with a good ET tuning for the piano, based soley on FAC measurements and an
analysis of octave characteristics (yes, this will involve tuning a few
strings - but if you do it on the As, you won't have to tune them twice!),
then add the offsets and tune away.

Terry Farrell