offset tuning of alternate temperaments

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 05 Sep 2001 15:58:06

Terry wrote:
Yup, this is what I currently do (or at least what I will admit to doing).
If one is using an ETD and offsets, this is clearly the superior way to do
it. But I am talking about walking into someones home and putting a non-ET
tuning on their piano. I wish to avoid tuning the the whole piano to ET, and
then starting over and tuning it to a non-ET.

This comes down to:

Can you trust your machine?  Do you feel that you can get a good tuning,
based on samples, checked with tuning a few notes?  If you're not sure, or
have to monkey with the tuning at the break to get it right, it may be time
to try a different system.

Look back in the archives, (search for graphman) I posted a series of graphs
showing cents from pure for the major thirds in circle of fifths order for
many temperaments.  Vallotti, Vallotti-Young, and Young are all pretty
'strong' for experimentation.

Try this for tone color without 'train wrecks':

(mild well temperament with equal beating characteristics)

cents offsets from et

A  0
A# .6
B  -1.4
C  2.7
C# -1.3
D  1.8
D# 1.8
E -.2
F  1.7
F# -1.5
G  3.8
G# 0

This should get you close to an EBVT that Bill Bremmer uses, without the
important aspect of tempered octaves. Play major chords in circle of fifths
order.  Can you hear rising tension to around to F#?  Can you hear a
reduction of tension coming back up to C?  That will give you an idea if you
tuned it right!

good luck

Ron Koval
(graphman)