ETDs & Non-Equal Temperaments

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 12:25:08 EDT

Greetings,
Terry writes:
<<I hope to identify a way to put a good non-ET on a

piano without tuning it first in ET. So I think that means program the SAT

with a good ET tuning for the piano, based soley on FAC measurements and an

analysis of octave characteristics (yes, this will involve tuning a few

strings - but if you do it on the As, you won't have to tune them twice!),

then add the offsets and tune away.>>

   This is a very concise explanation of a very workable procedure to produce
variety of temperaments.  It is also a fine and conveinent way to begin
training your ear to the nuances found in the non-ET mileau.  Once your ears
are attuned to the characters, then you will begin to find ways of refining.
However,  the difference between ET and even  a mild WT is far greater than
the difference between a machine produced WT and an aural WT.   Go for the
big differences first!
regards,
Ed Foote RPT