ETD unisons

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Wed, 05 Sep 2001 18:53:29 -0400

> Incidentally, it is not a good idea to tune Bass unisons with machine
> only. The two strings are seldom well matched, making perfect unisons
> impossible either aurally or electronically. Compromise is achieved
> quicker aurally.

Hi Jim,

I have learned something from tuning bass unisons with the SAT.  Sometimes there
can be no good unison with some strings no matter where you tune them but if you
tone the one that wants to be sharper to the octave then tune the one that wants
to be flatter as a unison you will get a better sounding octave.  I discovered
this out of frustration and a desire to get a better sounding octave.

Also I have been tuning real faulty high treble octaves and unison with the SAT
because sometimes the SAT can display the note better than I can hear it.  By
tuning each of the three strings to the octave and the display the unison can be
tuned very accurately when using both the display and the ears.  The ears always
have the only voting privilege.

It is only the last fifth or so I do this but all other unisons are tuned
aurally.

Is it me or are all those pianos getting faultier and faultier?

Take care my good friend.

		Newton